Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No road is long with good company. ~Turkish Proverb

Lately, I've been forced to get focused on my health. I had my gall bladder out in March and at the same time found out that my blood sugar was high and my triglycerides were through the roof. I have a long history of heart disease and diabetes in my family and I'm well aware that I must begin making better choices if I am to live a long, healthy life. My mom gave me a stack of Prevention magazines last year and they've been sitting on a shelf collecting dust. The last few days have been beautiful outside in the 70's and 80's with a cool breeze and I've cherished the moments under the shade tree in my adirondack chair watching my son Ayden play in his sandbox. The timing has been perfect to pick up those magazines and get more educated about my health. I realized after reading several articles that I have 4 out of 6 risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. Great! (Enter sarcasm here) There are only a few things I'm actually doing right. #1- I eat breakfast every day. #2 - I get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, usually more like 9 hours. #3 - I go out with and get together with my friends often.

It turns out that consistently throughout articles in Prevention, it is stated that for women, having close friendships with other women is key to a healthy and long life. In Prevention November 2008, in the article Power Up Your Health by Richard Laliberte, it states that relaxing with friends reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, reduces the risk of heart disease and lowers your risk of diabetes. In that same issue there is an article called Surprising Signs You'll Live Longer by Sandra Gordon. Along with eating purple food, if you are a flourisher (meaning you have a positive outlook on life) and if you spend time with friends, you will live longer. According to Micah Sadigh, PhD, good interpersonal relationships act as a buffer against stress. Knowing you have people who support you keeps you healthy, mentally and physically. You need friends you can talk to without being judged or criticized, Sadigh says.

It's important to surround yourself with positive people who can lift you up and share in your joys and your sorrows. A friend recently invited me to an exercise class twice a week that is challenging to me in so many ways. I had been complacent with exercise but just by gathering up a few more friends and all going together, it has made the challenge a whole lot more fun. We encourage each other, struggle with one another and laugh at one another when it gets too intense.

Don't we all want to live a long, healthy and joy filled life? Along with being filled with the Holy Spirit, you also need to be the friend to others that you would like to have. Get together with them often and fill your cup of longevity.

So what is the recipe for relationships?

According to Micca Monda Campbell, when you mix together love, sacrifice, loyalty, and freedom, you can create an intimate friendship that lasts a lifetime. Check out her blog below...


http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011/02/a-recipe-for-relationships.html



Friendship Quotes

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things. ~Author Unknown

A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half-cracked. ~Author Unknown

A friend accepts us as we are yet helps us to be what we should. ~Author Unknown

In my friend, I find a second self. ~Isabel Norton




No comments:

Post a Comment