Friday, November 8, 2013

DIY Lace Boot Socks

Ok, I know I'm all over the map on my blog and I should probably change the name to properly fit but this post is a fun one!

Recently, I was surfing around on Etsy for some cute, lacy, boot socks to purchase and I also happened to be on Pinterest at the same time when I saw a pin that showed a way to cut the sleeves out of an old sweater and use them as boot socks.

I had a long-sleeve cardigan sweater that I didn't wear often because it had long sleeves (I'm very hot-natured). Not sure how it actually ended up in my closet but it's been there for a very long time. I think it may have belonged to my daughter at some point. Sorry, Bridgette! Anyhow, I love cardigans. I have every color but I prefer the 3/4 length sleeves. So, I actually used both the cut-out sleeves and the leftover 3/4 length sleeved cardigan to get two new clothing items out of one sweater. Now, these boot socks are meant to be an added accessory and may or may not keep your legs warm but they are not meant to actually keep your toes and feet warm. So, if you're ok with wearing regular socks and then pulling these on over your jeans/leggings, then here goes:

***************************************
Sorry, I did not take a picture of the original sweater, but after I cut the sleeves, I pulled them over the ironing board to stretch them slightly. Remember, these will now be going around your calves just below your knees. I then placed strips of Stitch Witchery (I don't sew) across a section of the sleeve. You could also use Liquid Stitch if you're more comfortable with an actual glue. Or if you sew, then all the better! You'll want to iron in sections with the Stitch Witchery. 


I purchased a yard of pretty ivory lace from my local craft store for $1.99
I did not measure out the lace piece before starting the ironing process. Just keep it long.
Start off at the seam of the sweater sleeve.  
Place it over the Stitch Witchery which is already in place and press your iron to it for 10 seconds. 
Turn, line up the lace with the strips of Stitch Witch again, and repeat ironing.
Trim off the overlapping edges.

 This is what they will look like when finished. 

 And... VOILA!
They fit perfectly!

You could even add some pearl or brown buttons for added flare. 
On Pinterest, search for "DIY boot socks" for more ideas.


Then, I took more lace and did the same thing with the jagged ends of my cardigan. 
Iron it to the OUTSIDE to cover the jagged edges. 

Bam!
Who doesn't love boots, lace and pearls????



2 comments: