Monday, August 12, 2013

A Glorious Day!


Faith Story:

My husband and I were both raised in similar faith-based homes, baptized/christened as babies and then confirmed (Methodist/UCC) and professed our faith in God somewhere around the age of 11 or 12. I personally strayed from God and from my faith for many years after that; during my teens and long into my 20's. Looking back, I see where there were many roadblocks over those years where God was asking me to make the decision to turn back towards Him, but I kept running. My life changed in a positive way at age 30 and moving to Iowa, 3 years ago, was yet another turning point. I have had an even newer awakening of the Spirit and things that I thought were not possible have been made known to me.

Yesterday, I was baptized (immersed) along with my husband, to symbolize being buried with Christ and rising to new life. It was a glorious day! Here is the public picture of the private work that God has done in me over the last few years and more on What Baptism Means.



I love the Lord. He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy
Because He turned His ear to me,
I will call on Him as long as I live.
Psalm 116:1-2

I want to thank those who have poured into me over the last three years since moving to Iowa. 
  • Chris & LeAnn M. - former neighbors - John Deere friends - who lovingly pointed us to the church when we first arrived to Iowa, discipled us along the way and modeled for us what it means to follow Jesus.
  • Angie D. - for pointing me to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) - This provided an opportunity for my faith to grow by allowing me to join in a community with other moms in "like" stages of life with young children.
  • The other moms at MOPS group on Thursdays and the leadership there. I've watched these women lovingly meet to plan and pray for positive and uplifting change in our community.
  • Sue H. - for being a loving picture of grace and acceptance as I joined in my first bible study ever; shortly after moving to Iowa. She's been a constant support, prayer warrior and a great cheerleader for me in times of self-doubt. I admire the person she is. 
  • Heather E. - for recognizing that this southern girl was going to need some support in moving to this frozen tundra. (Maybe it was more her just feeling sorry for me). Either way, she has loved on me spiritually and in many practical ways over the last few years. God knew just what I needed.
  • My small group friends who have helped hold me accountable during my walk with Christ and who have been there to walk with me through some tough times and who have also celebrated with me during times of joy.
  • Chelsea A. and Lindsey P. - these girls lived with us, one for over a year. They've seen the good, the not-so-good, and even the mundane in our home. I thank them for their love, grace and mercy and being "plugged-in" to our family. They speak my love-language (Quality Time). To be so young, the two of them have taught me so much. I thank God everyday for these two. 
  • Christina B. - for being that loving neighbor who accepted our family and has been a constant in our lives since Day 1 of moving to Iowa, helping out in so many ways. She has the gift of hospitality and has made our transition to Iowa so much easier. Never underestimate the role you play in someone else's life. Watching her grow in her faith brings me so much joy!
  • The Church for it's influence and for allowing us opportunities to serve and take steps to go deeper in our faith (too many to name).
  • There are countless others who have poured into our family since moving to Iowa. Those who have loved our children and modeled for us what it means to Love Thy Neighbor. Those who have prayed for us and with us.
I'm thankful for my husband who has been so faithful and committed to me and to our family and our growth - constant and unwavering. And finally, (most importantly) to God for all of the above. We praise Him and thank Him for using our hard times/suffering/brokenness and our joyous occasions for His glory.

I continue to grow. I'm a work in progress and thankful that God is not done with me yet. There are many things that I struggle with daily (grace, pride, forgiveness, bitterness, learning to be a responder and not a reactor). But, I know there is hope in Christ and I am confident that He will help me overcome.



Some of you already read it several months ago. Here is a link to more on my faith story:

1 comment:

  1. I looooooove this. God has written (and continues to write) such a beautiful story in you. Alisa

    ReplyDelete