Monday, August 30, 2010

Wise guy!

So, with Fall coming and the whole "winds of change" thing, you know with school starting and schedules changing, I think it's time to make some changes with the sleeping arrangements around here. I know I can't be alone in this but I literally play musical beds every night.

It all started back in May when we had to stay in an extended stay hotel in Georgia for several weeks because we had sold our house. My husband was already working in Iowa and school was still in for the kids. Before that time, the baby loved his crib. That's where he preferred to be and it was easy. Take him to bed, turn off the light and shut the door. He went right to sleep every time. Well, that all changed in the hotel when he was in a new place, new surroundings and new noises. Ultimately, we all ended up in the king size bed together; me and both of the boys, for almost four weeks.

When we finally made the move to Iowa and everyone had a room and a bed, the baby decided that he didn't want to sleep in his crib anymore. He preferred a bed. So, it seemed easy enough. I would lay down with him at night in his room, in his queen size bed, he would go to sleep and we wouldn't here a peep out of him until morning. Yes! Success!

Well, then my 10 year old finally flew in from Georgia after staying there to visit with his dad a little over the summer, and, out of guilt, being that it was a new place, I would lay down with him at night. Yes, I know, he's 10! But my thinking was that he was sad because he had just left Georgia and all of his friends and his dad and well...you know the rest. That was July! It turns out, I was so tired from the day that I would end up falling asleep in his bed and wake up miserable. My husband was grumpy, I still had my contacts in, and I apparently didn't sleep soundly because my neck was hurting most mornings.

It gets better...or worse...depending on how you look at it. The baby got a cold over the summer and then started...yet a new sleep schedule. I would lay down with him first to get him to sleep. After he was asleep, I would go lay down with my 10 year old to get him to sleep. Then the baby would wake up because his nose was stuffy and he couldn't breathe. So, then I would go to his room and lay down. At some point the dogs must have figured out that I wasn't coming back to the master bed so they took over my spot and didn't budge when I urged them "off". Uggh! I ended up on the sofa just to hear the baby crying and calling my name again. Next thing you know, my 10 year old is awake with the light on and his glasses on watching cartoons at 3 AM. So I'm back in bed with him hoping he will get a few hours more sleep so he won't be crabby the next day. Meanwhile, I'm crabby and my husband...well my husband! These three boys are SO demanding! What does a girl do to make sure everyone is happy? I welcome your thoughts and comments. Please don't be too judgemental. It hurts my feelings...

So, this morning I get an email from my husband with a list of "Reminders" regarding our schedule for this week. Reminder #3 was - Our room is the one on the left at the top of the stairs ;)

Wise guy!

3 comments:

  1. Dana, this cracked me up! When we were trying to get Samantha to sleep on her own we bought a book called The Sleepeasy Solution. It has great ideas for working on getting kids to sleep on their own. The book is geared towards parents with kids from babies all the way to 5 years old, so maybe it would help a little with Ayden. I've loaned my copy out to a friend, but I can get it to you when she brings it back if you want. Just say the word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like our house!!! I have told my oldest, if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he can bring a pillow and blanket and sleep on the floor in my room...but don't wake me! Also, We've allowed the kids to keep their lights on until they fall asleep (they're scaredy cats like me!)
    I lay down every once in a while with my oldest, just to catch up on his day, and say goodnight...but I always say "Just for 5 min" and he's usually satisfied.
    I saw your post on fb...if you have any questions about layout for your blog, just let me know! I like your background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog...I remember those days well. When son Johnathan was 5 years old and had to get used to momma being married again and some man had taken his place in the bed next to me, it took quite a while to break him from knocking on our door and hearing "go back to bed" from his new stepdad. Some mornings I would open the door and have to step over him, as he would be on the floor outside our room with his pillow and blanket. Ouch!! that hurt, lots of guilt feelings but after a while, he just started going to his sister's bed and crawling in with her. It all works out in the end. Mom does need a few clones during these years. Love to read your blog and look at your pictures. keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete